Tuesday 24 July 2012

A rock and a hard place...

My insurance company and my former employer have offered a settlement.  Translation: the insurance company wants to pay me out for the next several months, and my employer wants to terminate my relationship with them.

I don't feel any better, and I don't know if I'll be able to work... So, if I accept the offer (which is enough to sustain us for the next several months), and I don't get better, we're a bit screwed. However, the benefit of the offer is a lump sum and not worrying about filling out the stupid forms, which costs $$, and being concerned about what big brother the insurance company thinks about my health.  What if they think I'm ready to return to work, even though I, and the health professionals I see, don't think so?  I'll be out of money.  And, if I get better before the 11 or so months are up, the money is 'free'.  If I don't get better, then I'm not entitled to ANYTHING - no more support or assistance - financial or otherwise.

I have asked for an extension from my employer and the insurance company, as my next appointment with my psychiatrist is towards the end of August.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment